Introduction to Systems-Focused Simulation and Debriefing (Online Course)
Offered in partnership with Healthcare Systems Simulation International, this 6-week virtual, interactive course is the gateway to harnessing systems focused simulation and debriefing to improve patient safety, operational efficiencies and care quality. Our course is evidence informed, includes easy to use tools and cognitive aids, and provides a clear roadmap to success. Our international and interprofessional team members are leading clinicians, educators, researchers, mentors and innovators in simulation for systems integration with a proven track record of success.
Participants will leave with a toolkit of proven design and implementation strategies which will allow them to integrate simulation with quality and safety initiatives within their organization.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe how to apply simulation to system-level patient safety and quality improvement efforts, to solve your organization’s operational and clinical issues;
- Plan and implement simulation activities to enhance a patient safety or quality improvement initiative;
- Facilitate and debrief a system-focussed simulation.
Course modules include content on:
- Quality improvement and patient safety science
- Complex adaptive healthcare systems
- Successful examples of systems integration work across Canada, including in-situ simulation
- Integrating simulation for various PS/QI purposes, such as policy & procedure development/testing/implementation, latent safety threat detection, clincal space assessment and design, safety culture improvement, etc.
- Quality improvement and the HSSI roadmap
- Systems focused scenario co-design, pre-briefing, facilitation and debriefing
- Measurement and evaluation
- Human factors considerations
- Analysis of systems-based findings and operationalizing to further action
- Setting up for successful organizational learning
This course uses a virtual flipped-learing approach. Over the course of 6 weeks, there are a variety of asynchronous and synchronous activities. Asynchronous elements include video lectures, readings, assignments and online discussions. There are weekly live webinars so participants can connect with expert facilitators and peers.
The course consists of 5 live webinars scheduled over a 6-week period, with additional activities between the webinars. All live webinar sessions are 90 minutes.
September - October live session schedule (Tuesdays at 11am ET/9am MST):
- September 7 - Course modules open
- September 14 - Webinar 1
- September 21 - Webinar 2
- September 28 - Webinar 3
- October 12 - Webinar 4
- October 19 - Webinar 5