- Respiratory Therapy
This scenario uses a physician confederate, who becomes fixated on intubation while the patient deteriorates, and offers the nursing and RT staff an opportunity to recognize and manage a critical deterioration as well as a fixation error.
Piloted tested twice and used in ICU with unit staff.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Recognize a patient in respiratory distress based clinical exam and arterial blood gas
- Monitor and interpret changes in EKG during intubation
- Initiate rhythm stabilization during intubation
Attitudes and Judgment:
- Recognize an emergency situation based on cardiac rhythm changes
- Call for help early and rapidly develop a team
- Recognize and respond to a fixation error