Last revised April 11, 2016
What Personal Information We Collect
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, such as your name or email address (“Personal Information”). SIM-one will collect Personal Information when you voluntarily provide it through our Site, or when you provide it to us through other means. For example, we may collect Personal Information when you:
- Contact us through e-mail, telephone, mail; or other correspondence;
- Create a user account;
- Create a professional profile;
- Register for a course or event;
- Submit a Classified Ad;
- Submit a company, product or service Review; or
- Register to receive news or notifications from us.
The Personal Information we may collect includes:
- Your full name;
- Your username and password;
- Your title;
- Your profession and company or organization name;
- Your interests in healthcare simulation;
- Contact information, such as your e-mail address;
- Information pertaining to a Classified Ad you choose to submit, such as your title, location, category of Classified Ad, and the price you are offering;
- Any other Personal Information that you voluntarily choose to submit to us.
If you register for a course or event advertised on our Site, you may be required to provide valid payment information if a payment is required for the registration you have selected. Such payment information is provided to our third party processor, and payment will be facilitated on the website of the third party processor. Your payment information will be used solely for the purpose of processing the registration you have requested. SIM-one does not collect your payment information directly.
How SIM-one Uses and Discloses Personal Information
- Respond to your questions or inquiries;
- To create your user profile, your professional profile, or an industry profile for a company that you represent;
- To display a Classified Ad that you choose to post on our Site;
- If you submit a company, product or service Review, you may be asked to associate your name, profession and ‘Type of Simulationist’ with the Review. If you choose to submit your Review anonymously, only the profession and ‘Type of Simulationist’ indicated will be publically associated with the Review.
- To send you informational or promotional communications that you have agreed to receive;
- To customize our Site based on the information you choose to submit to us. For example, we may adjust the content that appears on the Site based on the information you include in your professional profile, or your location, such as recommending a course that relates to an area of interest you have selected;
- To carry out other purposes that are disclosed to you and to which you consent;
- To carry out any other purpose permitted or required by law.
Please note that some areas of our Site, such as our “Communities of Practice”, our “Tips Listing” section, the “SIM Marketplace”, or the “SIM Company Directory” section may allow you to upload or publish your own content to a public area of the Site (“Posting”). Such Postings may be associated with your full name, and any Personal Information that you choose to include in your Posting will appear on the Site, and may be viewed by other visitors to the Site. If you choose to include Personal Information in a Posting you post on this Site, you consent to the public disclosure of the Personal Information you choose to post in this manner. If you do not wish to publish your Personal Information in this manner, please do not include it in a Posting you post to a public area of the Site.
For example, when you submit a “Classified Ad” to the SIM Marketplace, your Classified Ad may be viewed by other users of the Site. Any content you include in your Classified Ad may be viewed by such users. Please do not include personal information, including contact information, in your Classified Ad. Your Classified Ad is only associated with your Site username internally, not publically. The SIM Marketplace is intended to facilitate the initial contact between users who place Classified Ads, and users who wish to respond to them. The initial contact between a user who places a Classified Ad and a user who wishes to respond to it will take place through the Site’s internal messaging system. By placing a Classified Ad, you understand and agree to receive such messages. Any further contact that a user feels necessary to respond to a Classified Ad, or to facilitate a transaction contemplated in such a Classified Ad is at the sole and absolute discretion of the users, and SIM-one accepts no liability in relation thereto.
We may use information that does not identify you personally in the aggregate for analytical purposes and market research. We may disclose this non-identifiable, aggregate information to other organizations we work with.
We may use external service providers that store or process Personal Information on computers located outside of Canada, including in the United States, whose data protection laws may differ from those in Canada. As a result, the Personal Information may be subject to access requests from U.S. governments, courts, law enforcement officials and national security authorities in the United States according to their laws. Subject to these laws, we will ensure that appropriate protections are in place to maintain protections on the Information that are equivalent to those that apply in Canada.
We reserve the right to transfer any Personal Information we have about you in the event that we merge with or are acquired by a third party. We may also disclose your Personal Information to third parties if we have reason to believe that disclosing such information is necessary to: (i) conduct investigations of possible breaches of law; (ii) identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be violating an agreement they have with us; or (iii) to protect our rights, safety or property. Lastly, we may disclose your Personal Information for any other purpose to which you consent.
We may also use your Personal Information to investigate security breaches or cooperate with government authorities pursuant to a legal matter.
Personal Information we collect may also be combined with other information you have provided to us.
How we Protect Personal Information
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We protect your Personal Information by maintaining physical, organizational and technological safeguards (appropriate to the sensitivity of such Personal Information) and designed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure or access. Personal Information may only be accessed by persons within our organization, or our third party service providers, who require such access to provide you with the services indicated above. Personal Information we collect is maintained with the source of the information on servers based in Toronto.
We retain Personal Information that we collect only as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected or to meet any legal requirements. We have retention standards which meet these requirements. We destroy Personal Information when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected.
Although we have taken reasonable and prudent measures to protect this Site, computer systems and any Personal Information that it has collected from unauthorized use, access, disclosure, misuse, alteration or destruction, no security measures can provide absolute protection. As a result, while we are committed to protecting your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
Access and Rectification
You have a right to request access to your Personal Information and to request a correction to it if you believe it is inaccurate. If you have submitted Personal Information to SIM-one and would like to have access to it, or if you would like to have it removed or corrected, please contact us using the contact information provided below. We will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request; however, in some cases we may not be able to allow you to access certain Personal Information in certain circumstances, for example if it contains Personal Information of other persons, or for legal reasons. In such cases, we will provide you with a reasonable explanation of why it is not possible to grant access to your Personal Information.
Children and Parents
SIM-one does not knowingly solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. If a child has already provided us with personal information, his or her parent or guardian may contact us for the purpose of deleting this information.
Third Party Websites
How to Contact Us
- access Personal Information that you have already provided to us so that you can correct or update it, or request that it be deleted;
- request the deletion of Personal Information regarding your minor child; or
Please advise us by contacting our Privacy Officer by writing to SIM-one Office 88 College Street, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L4. You may also call us at 416-506-1433.