Keystones Apex in Simulation-Based Education
Complete all coursework for a Keystones of Simulation Certification in 1 week!
The new Keystones Apex program is a 1-week intensive and immersive learning program in planning, developing, facilitating and debriefing simulation-based learning in healthcare.
Le programme Keystones Apex comprend également les formations requises pour obtenir une certification Keystones. Le programme est conçu pour les éducateurs qui souhaitent poursuivre une formation spécialisée et faire reconnaitre leurs compétences en enseignement par simulation. Ce programme soutient les participants qui cherchent à développer leur carrière en tant qu’expert en simulation dans le cadre de divers rôles (p. ex., éducateurs, dirigeants, professeurs universitaires, etc.). L’expérience Keystones repose sur le réseautage et la collaboration. Les liens établis dans le cadre du programme seront entretenus afin de favoriser davantage la pratique au sein de la communauté de simulation.
The Keystones of Healthcare Simulation is a certificate program designed for educators who wish to pursue dedicated training and recognition of their skills in simulation-based education. This program supports participants in developing their careers as simulationists, in roles such as educators, leaders, scholars and faculty developers. The Keystones experience is grounded in networking and collaboration. Connections made within this program will be nurtured to further develop practice within the simulation community.
The Keystones Apex program covers all the coursework required to attain the Keystones Certification (additional independent reflection and project work is also required; see the Keystones Certification details for more information). Note: the fee for the Keystones Certification program is not included in the fee for this Keystones Apex course.
For those already enrolled in Keystones, or who have completed 1 or 2 of our courses and would like to participate in part of this program, please contact us via education@SIM-one.ca.
Who will benefit?
Educators, quality improvement leads, and patient safety officers with an interest in simulation will benefit from this consolidated program that covers all the critical knowledge and skills to work as a professional simulationist.
*New: Student rates available - only applies to full-time undergraduate, pre-licensure, post graduate students and medical residents.*
What will I learn?
Keystones Apex covers content from a number of our other foundational simulationist courses. Key topics covered include:
- An overall view of what simulation is, why it works, and what makes it work most effectively
- The variety of simulation modalities available and their strengths
- Creating simulations and writing simulation scenarios
- Preparing learners for simulation, facilitating a scenario, and debriefing
- Working with standardized patients and role-playing
- The state of the science in simulation-based learning
- Using simulation for interprofessional education
Learning outcomes & benefits
Participants will gain the practical skills that can be immediately be applied on the job. At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Integrate simulations into an educational program
- Select a simulation modality to best meet particular learning objectives
- Design, write and run a simulation scenario
- Brief and debrief simulation participants
- Advocate for the proven value of simulation
The Keystones Apex course has been held at the following locations:
- Georgian College, Barrie, ON
- Trent University, Peterborough, ON
- Fanshawe College, London, ON
- Ornge Transport Medicine, Toronto, ON
- Collège Boréal, Sudbury, ON (offered fully in French)
- LHEARN Centre, Oshawa, ON
- Mohawk College, Hamilton, ON
- Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- Fanshawe College, London, ON
- Cégep de l'Outaouais, Gatineau, QC (offered fully in French)
- Centre for Interprofessional Clinical Simulation Learning (CICSL), Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria, BC
- Canadore College, North Bay, ON
- Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
- The Regional Municipality of Durham - Social Services Dept., Whitby, ON
- May 11-15, 2020 - Open registration (Online)
- June 20-26, 2020 - Open registration (Online)
New offerings are posted and open for registration, unless otherwise stated. Contact us if you're interested in being a future host site and would like to have your faculty or staff complete this program.