Keystones Apex in Simulation-Based Education
Complete all coursework for a Keystones of Simulation Certification in one course!
The Keystones Apex program is our flagship course, covering all essential topics and skills for simulation-based education. An intensive and immersive learning program, Keystones Apex covers planning, developing, facilitating and debriefing simulation-based learning in healthcare.
Le programme Keystones Apex comprend également les formations requises pour obtenir une certification Keystones. Le programme est conçu pour les éducateurs qui souhaitent poursuivre une formation spécialisée et faire reconnaitre leurs compétences en enseignement par simulation. Ce programme soutient les participants qui cherchent à développer leur carrière en tant qu’expert en simulation dans le cadre de divers rôles (p. ex., éducateurs, dirigeants, professeurs universitaires, etc.). L’expérience Keystones repose sur le réseautage et la collaboration. Les liens établis dans le cadre du programme seront entretenus afin de favoriser davantage la pratique au sein de la communauté de simulation.
The Keystones of Healthcare Simulation is a certificate program designed for educators who wish to pursue dedicated training and recognition of their skills in simulation-based education. This program supports participants in developing their careers as simulationists, in roles such as educators, leaders, scholars and faculty developers. The Keystones experience is grounded in networking and collaboration. Connections made within this program will be nurtured to further develop practice within the simulation community.
The Keystones Apex program covers all the coursework required to attain the Keystones Certificate (additional independent reflection and project work is also required).
For those already enrolled in Keystones, or who have completed 1 or 2 of our courses and would like to participate in part of this program, please contact us via [email protected].
Who will benefit?
Educators, quality improvement leads, and patient safety officers with an interest in simulation will benefit from this consolidated program that covers all the critical knowledge and skills to work as a professional simulationist. The course is applicable to any health or human service profession.
What will I learn?
Keystones Apex covers content from a number of our other foundational simulationist courses. Key topics covered include:
- An overall view of what simulation is, why it works, and what makes it work most effectively
- The variety of simulation modalities available and their strengths
- Creating simulations and writing simulation scenarios
- Preparing learners for simulation, facilitating a scenario, and debriefing
- Working with standardized patients and role-playing
- The state of the science in simulation-based learning
- Using simulation for interprofessional education
Learning outcomes & benefits
Participants will gain the practical skills that can be immediately be applied on the job. At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Integrate simulations into an educational program
- Select a simulation modality to best meet particular learning objectives
- Design, write and run a simulation scenario
- Brief and debrief simulation participants
- Advocate for the proven value of simulation
Past host sites
The Keystones Apex course has been held at the following locations:
- Georgian College, Barrie, ON
- Trent University, Peterborough, ON
- Fanshawe College, London, ON
- Ornge Transport Medicine, Toronto, ON
- Collège Boréal, Sudbury, ON (offered fully in French)
- LHEARN Centre, Oshawa, ON
- Mohawk College, Hamilton, ON
- Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- Cégep de l'Outaouais, Gatineau, QC (offered fully in French)
- Centre for Interprofessional Clinical Simulation Learning (CICSL), Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria, BC
- Canadore College, North Bay, ON
- Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
- The Regional Municipality of Durham - Social Services Dept., Whitby, ON
The online version of Keystones Apex covers the same content as the original in-person course. It provides an interactive and collaborative environment for learners with various activities and online applications to support interactivity at a distance – both with peers and with expert facilitators.
To optimize interactivity and collaboration, we provide:
- Interactive presentations and live discussions with an expert facilitator
- Pre-class readings and activities with online course materials and content
- Interactive group and individual activities
- Short recorded guest lectures by leading Canadian simulationists
By delivering Keystones Apex online, training for Canadian simulationists is more accessible and affordable.
Join us for Keystones Apex in Simulation-Based Education (Flex Delivery)
- Next offering August 17-31, 2022 (registration open) • *Accelerated Delivery
Simulation Canada’s flagship certificate is now more flexible than ever. With a goal to increase access to our comprehensive simulation educator training certificate Keystones, we are now offering the program in a flexible self-paced format. The certificate will include five self-directed online modules with narrated lectures by Dr. Sandra Goldsworthy. This flexible delivery means limited disruption to your busy schedule! Ensuring learners are well supported we have built in interactive and engaging touch points with simulation experts and course peers. Participants will have access to Keystones SIM coaches, who are some of Canada's leading expert simulationists, available to answer course content-related questions throughout the program. We will be hosting live Q and A sessions for participants to engage and discuss course topics with peers and coaches.
*August accelerated delivery - participants will have 2 weeks to complete the online course. 2 Q&A live sessions will be held: August 24 and 31 from 1:00pm to 4:00 PM EDT. Please note these sessions are optional and will be recorded for those unable to attend.*
New offerings are posted and open for registration, unless otherwise stated. Contact us if you're interested in being a future host site and would like to have your faculty or staff complete this program.