Briefing, Debriefing and Facilitating Simulation (Online Course)
The Briefing, Debriefing and Facilitating Simulation is an 4-week interactive course. This course will enable you to develop an understanding of the essential principles of briefing and debriefing - a crucial component to all simulation and experiential learning. You will gain current and relevant knowledge on the importance of simulation for the success in any healthcare profession and organization.
The online structure of the course will present essential knowledge and skills in briefing and debriefing in simulation in an innovative, interactive and engaging format. The e-course is designed to give you the flexibility to participate in all of its activities in an asynchronous online learning manner.
This course is geared toward all healthcare professionals and those involved in simulation activities. Comprised of weekly modules, it will be led by experienced and expert faculty.
Learning outcomes & benefits
Participants will gain practical skills that can be immediately be applied in any setting. Topics include:
- Learning climate: Establishing simulation parameters and practical steps.
- Briefing: Key elements for effective briefing, including learner engagement.
- Debriefing: Key elements for effective debriefing, including feedback.
- Facilitation: Including how to increase or decrease the intensity of a simulation.
- Simulation resources: The use of resources for the most effective educational impact.
- Reflective practice: The essential learning principles for deeper exploration of experience gained from the simulation.
The format of the course will include recommendations of key up-to-date review papers, reflective questions, case examples, and webconferences. There will be plenty of opportunity to ask faculty and peers your burning questions and discuss practical issues.
Visit the Simulation Canada Faculty page for a list of our experts!
This course can count as a credit toward a Simulation Canada simulationist certificate program. For specific accreditation for a professional body, please inform the education team of the requirements (e.g. agenda, hours, etc.) and we will create a document for your portfolio. Based on the average amount of work, 16 hours in total can be claimed (approximately 2 hours per week).