MASCS Certificate Program
MASCS Certificate Program
MASCS—Mastering the Artistic Side of Clinical Simulation—is a certificate program that focuses on the creative and psychological elements required to bring simulations to life, enhancing fidelity and increasing learner engagement. MASCS introduces the use of best practice principles and techniques developed in many fields that can be used for enhancing health professions education.
This program is designed to help mentor and support participants in developing their careers in the exciting field of healthcare simulation, with the opportunity to become a SIM-one Simulationist. As with our other programs, the experiences and learnings are grounded in networking and collaboration. Connections made within this program will be nurtured to further develop practice within the simulation community.
Upon completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Describe and make use of the psychological principles that underlie different aspects of a simulation
- Enhance fidelity with simple techniques; i.e., increase fidelity with creativity and use of low-cost items
- Demonstrate how to prepare a simulation scenario/plan based on best practice principles as well as embedding psychological hooks for engagement and maximizing experiences
- Understand methods for defining the zones of active simulation, the safe learning spaces and the outside world
- Acquire a positive attitude towards implementing and initiating change, and incorporation of interactive and experiential simulation techniques into their teaching
- Identify the ways in which role-play and role creation can be used for numerous settings and forms of simulation
- And much more!
For the 2011-2014 cycle, we are accepting up to 12 candidates. To register for the MASCS Certificate Program, please fill out the below form. When finished, please attach your most recent CV and send the combined package to Education@SIM-one.ca. You can also reach us at 416-506-1433 ext. 202.
To obtain this unique certificate, participants are required to complete at least three of the applicable SIM-one courses. There are currently three core MASCS courses (“The SIMaginarium”, “The Scenario Writers Studio” and “The Role-Players Theatre”), of which at least two must be taken. Participants have the option of selecting one course from the following: “Simulation Research Primer”, "The e-Xplorers of Simulation" and “Synergies". These courses must be completed over two academic years.
More course options may be created over time.
In addition to these courses, participants must also complete the following:
- From Figment to Form Simulation Project - The goal of this scholarly project is to take what was learned from the program and use it for the practical development of the learner’s goals
- "Showcase" Rounds - Participants will have to present at the SIM-one Rounds or other acceptable context on their scholarly projects
- Reflection Sketches - Participants must submit reflection papers about their experience in the MASCS program
In addition to the above, participants may be offered leadership opportunities such as teaching as adjunct faculty, helping in special presentations and more. All participants will be invited to join SIM-one's online communities of practice.
The cost of the MASCS Certificate is $500.00, which you will be asked to pay upon being accepted into the program. This is to cover the extra administration and activities costs involved with the program. This fee does not include the cost of courses.
MASCS is an interprofessional program. Individuals with clinical, educational, administrative, research and creative backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
SIM-one faculty are experts in the field of simulation, representing many health professions and numerous settings from across Ontario.
Does SIM-one recognize external training/experiences as credit towards certification?
Yes. Candidates can request SIM-one to review learning and experience outside of the SIM-one offerings that can be considered as credit towards certificate programs. This gives learners the opportunity to be examined in, and receive credit for, a recognized SIM-one course, without meeting the normal requirements of enrollment, attendance, and instruction.
A successful Course Credit is recorded on the candidate’s record.
The SIM-one team will examine each request individually.
Not all courses are available for consideration. The external courses/training presented to SIM-one will be considered but are not guaranteed to be acceptable as suitable for certain offerings.
One course may be granted towards a certificate program. The other requirements for a certificate will still be required for completion of the program (e.g. papers, presentations, projects).
Please contact Education@SIM-one.ca for further information.