Please follow to the official York University job posting here for more information and to apply.
Purpose: The School of Nursing is York University's ninth largest academic unit, with over 1,100 undergraduate majors and over 130 graduate students. The School offers a number of undergraduate degree programs, including the Collaborative Nursing program (with Georgian and Seneca Colleges). the Internationally Educated Nursing (IEN) program. and, the Second Degree Entry program. At the graduate level, the School offers an MScN, MScN - Nurse Practitioner and PhD programs. Students have the opportunity to apply their classroom learning through hands on experiential education in clinical placements and the nursing simulation centre sessions.Through the use of experiential learning York University's School of Nursing Simulation Centre (NSC) provides nursing students with a safe, supportive environment for learning and most importantly, the opportunity to positively impact knowledge translation. The Simulation Manager is responsible for the operations of the NSC. This includes providing leadership and direction for daily functions in the NSC and managing the performance of all staff, volunteers, and co-op students in accordance with relevant collective agreements. The Manager oversees the NSC operations including activities that use sophisticated equipment and software, running clinical simulations that meet learning outcomes and produce measurable outcomes to support inter-professional learning experiences.Working under the direction of the Manager, Resources and Planning and with consultation and academic direction from the Director, Nursing Simulation Centre (NSC), the Simulation Manager facilitates students' development of clinical skills to meet the undergraduate and graduate students course and program outcomes.
Education: Undergraduate degree, preferably in a science or healthcare discipline. Certification in Simulation (ie/CHSE, CHSEO, CHSEA, Keystones, etc.) would be an asset.
Experience: Minimum 2 years' recent experience in healthcare education, research, or administration with a minimum of 1 year supervisory/managerial experience. Familiarity with current College of Nurses Entry to Practice Requirements an asset.
Skills: Required Skills include: Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access at the intermediate level). Experience with simulation technology an asset.Demonstrated Skills include: Budget and financial management experience. Leadership or management, preferably in a unionized environment. Excellent communication (written and oral), team building, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills. Very good organizational and problem-solving skills. Experience in the preparation of reports. Knowledge of inventory management systems. Commitment to collaborative decision-making, strong advocacy, negotiation skills, relationship building with a range of stakeholders and promoting effective partnerships and agreements. Strong client service orientation. Demonstrated leadership in an academic environment with a diverse student and staff population. Ability to multi-task Willingness to adapt and change to a learning environment.
Additional Notes: This position requires the candidate to produce a verification of degree(s), credentials(s), or equivalencies from accredited institutions and/or international equivalents at the time of interview.
A world-leading provider of training, educational and therapy products for medical care, is currently seeking an “Education and Technical Services Specialist – Medical Simulation” in Montreal, QC, Canada.
The role of the Services Specialist, is to deliver Technical and Educational Services, using knowledge of technical and educational methods, medicine, the Product Portfolio, Educational Services portfolio & client’s needs, to the development & improvement of the client’s capability to deliver high quality training.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources for maximum customer outcome and revenue impact;
- Understand strategically and demonstrate tactically;
- Understanding learning and curriculum relevant to our medical simulation solutions;
- Understands the economic, clinical, technical and, most importantly, educational features & benefits of Training & Education product portfolio;
- Applies knowledge of their product technical and educational solutions to recommend products and services that best suit client’s needs;
- Applies knowledge of their Technical and Educational Services portfolio, to recommend coursework, training programs & services to develop & improve client’s internal training capabilities;
- Applies knowledge of their product solutions to the development of the following custom & standard products.
- BS or equivalent in a medical discipline and/or, BA or equivalent in teaching & education;
- Fluent in oral/written French and English;
- 3-5 years’ experience in clinical practice or teaching;
- Experience in medical simulation/clinical education is desirable;
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills;
- Ability to travel as required by role;
- Hours may vary and will require some evening/weekend work, depending on requirements of business needs;
- Possesses a valid driver’s license;
- Licensing and/or certification in a recognized standard such as NREMT-X, RN, 91W is desirable;
- Body motor skills required to move from one location to another, including ability to move, lift, roll 50-90-pound simulators.
Simulation Operations Specialist
Educator Development, Lions Gate Hospital - North Vancouver, BC
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays
Are you our next Simulation Operation Specialist? Apply today to join the Simulation team at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Simulation Operation Specialist with an interest in health care, knowledge of simulation and education, and experience in theatre operations to join the Regional Simulation team. The primary location of this role is at Lion’s Gate Hospital, but it is a regional role that supports the entire health authority. In this position you will report to the Regional Manager, Simulation Strategy to manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Coastal Simulation Centre, support the development of new centres/resources, supervise designated staff, and promote and provide simulation services to enhance the delivery of clinical education across the health authority.
In this unique role, you will:
- provide client services and ensure simulation-specific technical support is coordinated for all simulation activities, which can include simulation preparation, setup/take down, maintenance of simulation equipment (simulation, AV, and medical), and participation in simulation scenarios (such as acting as a standardize patient).
- be responsible for the intake and coordination of simulation events (which can range from basic to complex), for ongoing maintenance of simulation rooms and supplies, and for ensuring efficient and adequate resource allocation for simulation events (which may be occurring simultaneously and across one or more sites)
- use your knowledge in the field of simulation and education (including the use and operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of different simulation technologies, such as task trainers, full body patient simulators, computer software management and AV systems).
- utilize an understanding of simulation education methodology in order to support simulation users through the intake process (which may include basic scenario design and linking level of fidelity with learning outcomes, selection of appropriate equipment, rooms and debrief components.)
- maintain proficiency in existing and emerging technologies including basic theory, design and implementation.
- maintain our web and social media presence.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a recognized technology or health-related field and CHSOS certification (Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist) or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum two (2) year’s recent, related experience with simulation technology and clinical education.
- Experience working as a theatre or conference technician (including experience in lighting, sound and other entertainment production media) is an asset
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to function as a strong leader, motivator, coach/mentor, and a team member within a complex setting with the goal of attaining exceptional service, goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to lead staff and foster a motivating, engaging and respectful workplace.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communications skills; facilitates, collaborates and negotiates with internal and external stakeholders effectively and strategically both one-on-one and in groups.
- Strong customer services skills that drive efficient and increasing use of simulation education resources and promote high quality inter-professional education.
- Demonstrates initiative to independently sustain expert level of knowledge in the Simulation field as it relates to their proficiency in existing/emerging technologies through day to day work, participating in provincial/national/international simulation working groups and attending webinars and conferences.
- Ability to learn new software and hardware quickly and independently.
- Ability to assess, troubleshoot and fix equipment failures in a timely fashion.
- General knowledge of LAN Networks and Microsoft Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OSX, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Web publishing software.
- Working knowledge of audio/video equipment and software for recording, duplication, mixing and editing.
- Knowledge of basic medical equipment and related supplies used in simulation based education ( IV pump, defibrillator, thermometer, BP, suction, IV, intubation).
- Ability to work well under pressure, set priorities, and effectively make decisions within a team environment.
- Understands principles of adult learning theory, how it influences curriculum design and the learning environment. Ability to integrate principles of instructional design.
- Supports/fosters interdisciplinary engagement of healthcare professional with different levels of knowledge related to Simulation methodology.
- Ability to assist educators with appropriate application of fidelity to best serve the scenario and learners.
- Ability to express technical information clearly and simply to facilitate understanding of simulation, fidelity, and related equipment.
- Knowledge of common healthcare procedures/principles, terminology and abbreviations.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, BCLS certification, and exposure/experience to a hospital clinical environment are assets.
- Flexibility and adaptability in dynamic environment where the ability to problem solve and make timely informed decisions independently will be necessary.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.