Please follow to the official York University job posting here for more information and to apply.
Purpose: The School of Nursing is York University's ninth largest academic unit, with over 1,100 undergraduate majors and over 130 graduate students. The School offers a number of undergraduate degree programs, including the Collaborative Nursing program (with Georgian and Seneca Colleges). the Internationally Educated Nursing (IEN) program. and, the Second Degree Entry program. At the graduate level, the School offers an MScN, MScN - Nurse Practitioner and PhD programs. Students have the opportunity to apply their classroom learning through hands on experiential education in clinical placements and the nursing simulation centre sessions.Through the use of experiential learning York University's School of Nursing Simulation Centre (NSC) provides nursing students with a safe, supportive environment for learning and most importantly, the opportunity to positively impact knowledge translation. The Simulation Manager is responsible for the operations of the NSC. This includes providing leadership and direction for daily functions in the NSC and managing the performance of all staff, volunteers, and co-op students in accordance with relevant collective agreements. The Manager oversees the NSC operations including activities that use sophisticated equipment and software, running clinical simulations that meet learning outcomes and produce measurable outcomes to support inter-professional learning experiences.Working under the direction of the Manager, Resources and Planning and with consultation and academic direction from the Director, Nursing Simulation Centre (NSC), the Simulation Manager facilitates students' development of clinical skills to meet the undergraduate and graduate students course and program outcomes.
Education: Undergraduate degree, preferably in a science or healthcare discipline. Certification in Simulation (ie/CHSE, CHSEO, CHSEA, Keystones, etc.) would be an asset.
Experience: Minimum 2 years' recent experience in healthcare education, research, or administration with a minimum of 1 year supervisory/managerial experience. Familiarity with current College of Nurses Entry to Practice Requirements an asset.
Skills: Required Skills include: Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access at the intermediate level). Experience with simulation technology an asset.Demonstrated Skills include: Budget and financial management experience. Leadership or management, preferably in a unionized environment. Excellent communication (written and oral), team building, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills. Very good organizational and problem-solving skills. Experience in the preparation of reports. Knowledge of inventory management systems. Commitment to collaborative decision-making, strong advocacy, negotiation skills, relationship building with a range of stakeholders and promoting effective partnerships and agreements. Strong client service orientation. Demonstrated leadership in an academic environment with a diverse student and staff population. Ability to multi-task Willingness to adapt and change to a learning environment.
Additional Notes: This position requires the candidate to produce a verification of degree(s), credentials(s), or equivalencies from accredited institutions and/or international equivalents at the time of interview.
A world-leading provider of training, educational and therapy products for medical care, is currently seeking an “Education and Technical Services Specialist – Medical Simulation” in Montreal, QC, Canada.
The role of the Services Specialist, is to deliver Technical and Educational Services, using knowledge of technical and educational methods, medicine, the Product Portfolio, Educational Services portfolio & client’s needs, to the development & improvement of the client’s capability to deliver high quality training.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources for maximum customer outcome and revenue impact;
- Understand strategically and demonstrate tactically;
- Understanding learning and curriculum relevant to our medical simulation solutions;
- Understands the economic, clinical, technical and, most importantly, educational features & benefits of Training & Education product portfolio;
- Applies knowledge of their product technical and educational solutions to recommend products and services that best suit client’s needs;
- Applies knowledge of their Technical and Educational Services portfolio, to recommend coursework, training programs & services to develop & improve client’s internal training capabilities;
- Applies knowledge of their product solutions to the development of the following custom & standard products.
- BS or equivalent in a medical discipline and/or, BA or equivalent in teaching & education;
- Fluent in oral/written French and English;
- 3-5 years’ experience in clinical practice or teaching;
- Experience in medical simulation/clinical education is desirable;
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills;
- Ability to travel as required by role;
- Hours may vary and will require some evening/weekend work, depending on requirements of business needs;
- Possesses a valid driver’s license;
- Licensing and/or certification in a recognized standard such as NREMT-X, RN, 91W is desirable;
- Body motor skills required to move from one location to another, including ability to move, lift, roll 50-90-pound simulators.
Position Title: Clinical Simulation Technician
Location: St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver BC
Reporting to the Practice Consultant, the Clinical Simulation Technician is responsible for coordinating simulations, setting and dismantling of equipment and providing user orientation to educators and other staff in the operation of simulators and other A/V equipment for simulation use for various departments throughout the hospital. The Clinical Simulation Technician provides technical, operational, and maintenance support of the computers scenarios, audio visual (A/V) technologies, simulation mannequins and medical equipment.
Graduation from a recognized diploma program in a Technology field of study plus two (2) years’ recent simulation technician experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Valid Class 5 vehicle license as local area travel requires the use of a vehicle.
CHSOS certification (Certified Simulation Operations Specialist) preferred.
Skills And Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
In collaboration with the Practice Consultant, develops and maintains effective planning and logistics to ensure a quality simulation learning experience for all facilitators and users of the simulators.
Programs patient care simulators, prepares scenario props, and runs the computer scenarios to model physiological responses to the clinical and skill objectives and specifications created by instructional staff.
Prepares technological and environmental set ups for simulation activities, including setup of equipment, peripherals and supplies as well as ensuring cleaning and take down procedures are completed after each simulation session. Restores simulation rooms to pre-scenario conditions following events.
Schedules and provides coordination for simulation activities and provides technical support and instructional orientation to the high fidelity human patient simulators and A/V equipment to educators.
Contributes to the development of user educational materials. Participates in data entry and provision of ongoing support for curriculum, lectures on demand and uploading of user educational material and manuals.
Performs quality assurance testing of the simulation equipment and courseware to identify and resolve technical issues related to access and operation of the equipment.
Performs diagnostics, trouble shooting and maintenance of patient simulators including: identifying issues and highlighting solutions; installing and updating hardware and software; documenting services performed; and liaising with manufacturers’ service representatives. Escalates issues to Practice Consultant when unable to resolve issues.
Maintains warranty information and documentation on simulation equipment.
Provides support for simulation and debrief technologies used throughout the hospital, including telephone/online assistance, and facilitating escalation of technical support or appropriate solutions.
Coordinates with simulation schedulers and educators to ensure sufficient time/resources and follow up for simulation activities.
Maintains inventories, supplies and replacement parts for technologies to facilitate effective operation of the clinical simulation activities.
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
If you’re interested in this position, please submit your resume here.
- Department: USask Health Sciences
- Location: Saskatoon
- Status: Term, up to 24 months, with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Primary Purpose: The Manager of the Clinical Learning Resource Centre (CLRC) facilitates the integration of simulation and inter-professional learning opportunities into the educational process of University of Saskatchewan (USask) health science students’ clinical learning. This position assists in developing and overseeing the implementation of various programs and USask Health Sciences strategic initiatives, and manages staff and the day-to-day operations of learning activities within the CLRC.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Director, Clinical Learning Services, the Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the CLRC with a primary focus on the Manikin Based Simulation Program and the Virtual Learning Lab (VLL). This includes oversight of the CLRC staff and all simulated activities supported in the Manager’s assigned areas. The expectation is the CLRC staff will provide excellent service to our partners and the unit will run smoothly and efficiently. This complex and challenging role involves effective relationship building and management with a wide variety of faculty, staff, committees, colleges and units, and external partners. As a clinical expert, the Manager will work collaboratively with various internal and external partners in the development and implementation of experiential learning activities utilizing experiential learning pedagogies, simulated technologies and methodologies. Discretion and confidentiality are required as this position works with sensitive and confidential information. The work requires creative thinking, innovative problem solving, and sound judgment in decision-making, with a strong commitment to creating an exceptional student experience. This position may experience constant interruptions, changing priorities, strict deadlines, multiple competing demands, multiple complex issues, and light to moderate physical labor. This is a full time day position that may require some flexibility in hours and occasional weekend and evening work.
- Provides oversight and management of the Manikin Based Simulation Program ensuring adherence to established CLRC budgets
- Works collaboratively with CLRC partners to develop and implement simulation experiences which fulfil course/program objectives
- Effectively manages the full employee life cycle of direct reports including but not limited to recruitment, training and development, engagement, performance management, and discipline up to and including dismissal
- Assists with the development and implementation of policies, procedures and practice standards consistent with emerging research and best practice
- Maintains measurements and benchmarks for events; ensures metrics and data are collected and reported, assesses results and makes recommendations for any necessary changes
- Supports the Director, Clinical Learning Services with general business, market research and promotion, scheduling, budgeting and financial oversight, development of potential external partnerships, and staff and faculty development
- Works collaboratively with USask Health Sciences to plan, coordinate, execute and evaluate events within the scope of the USask Health Sciences portfolio that support strategic goals and priorities
- Manages and oversees the day-to-day operations of assigned areas including but not limited to: ensuring adequate inventory of supplies and equipment; maintenance of all equipment and unit; room scheduling; coordinating workflow and staff assignments; simulation planning; set up and take down of simulation labs and equipment
- Collaborates with faculty and the CLRC team to design, plan, prepare, implement and schedule simulation activities
- Coordinates simulation center schedule (including OSCE, sim and classroom) in compliance with simulation center policies working to prevent scheduling conflicts
- Oversees simulation staff in the maintenance and repair of all simulation equipment, coordinating upgrades to software and equipment as required
- Provides recommendations for equipment and supply purchase anticipating future changes in technology or equipment renewal
- Ensures adherence to policies, procedures and best practices to ensure laboratory is maintained to meet regulation, accreditation, and safety standards
- Champion simulated and interprofessional activities to our health science partners
- Coordinate training for all users of the simulation laboratory and train health science faculty in the use of simulation and debriefing as an educational tool
- Assumes faculty educator role for simulations as content expert and conducts debriefing within the scope of knowledge or to assist content expert as required
- Support faculty in the development and implementation of simulated educational activities (scenario development, SP recruitment, etc.)
- Provide feedback on the Simulated Patient and Healthcare Professional training process as required
- Promote and maintain professional development and expertise of the staff through appropriate educational and developmental activities internally and externally to keep current with the latest trends in simulation and inter-professional education in the health sciences.
- Networks with other lab/simulation coordinators and managers at provincial, national, and international levels to develop and utilize best practices
- Other duties as assigned
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in a Health Science Discipline is required, Master’s is preferred. Licensure as a healthcare professional is strongly preferred. Certifications and/or post graduate degrees in leadership, healthcare administration, and/or business administration would be an asset. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
Experience: Minimum of two years of progressive and related leadership experience in the area of managing a fast paced, diverse clinical healthcare unit. Three to five years demonstrated competency in adult immersive teaching-learning theory. Experience with program development, performance evaluations, human resource and financial management, policy and procedure-best practice development and team building is essential.
Skills: Performance competencies in leadership/vision, support for progress, relationship building, communication, results orientation, and personal effectiveness; demonstrated competencies in strategic program development and management: planning, implementing, and evaluating the program; demonstrate expertise in program promotion; experience in or a dedicated philosophy of inter-professional education in health sciences; ability to work collaboratively and foster inter-professional relationships; current in clinical practice skills for healthcare professionals; ability to understand the nuances of healthcare practice and understand how to incorporate best practice teaching-learning experiences in a simulated healthcare environment; well-developed human resource management skills; ability to make decisions and follow through; demonstrated ability to be independent, take initiative, be flexible, creative and innovative.
To apply, please visit careers.usask.ca.